Publication Date: May 26, 2009
$1495 (single user)
TABLE OF CONTENTS | BUY THIS REPORT NOW |
Rheumatoid arthritis, a systemic disease characterized by inflammation of the membrane lining the joint, is one of the most common forms of arthritis. Up to 50 percent of all rheumatoid arthritis patients enter early retirement within five years of diagnosis, which means that the indirect costs associated with this disease can be very high. While the prevalence of rheumatoid arthritis has decreased in recent years, partly due to stricter diagnosing criteria as well as other unknown factors, the higher uptake of rheumatoid arthritis therapies continues to represent a major commercial opportunity for pharmaceutical companies involved in the research and development of novel therapies for the disease.
The Rheumatoid Arthritis Market: Competitive Landscape and Clinical Stage Analysis is an analytically-based overview of the current state of the global market for rheumatoid arthritis therapies, with a focus on the specific class of drugs, known as the biological response modifiers (BRMs). Biological response modifiers have revolutionized the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, although their high cost (of up to $16,000 per patient per annum), has been a major point of contention for both Medicare reimbursement as well as private insurers. Consequently, an increasing amount of attention has been devoted to research into their cost-effectiveness as compared to other therapies, as well as one another. This report compares and contrasts the key rheumatoid arthritis therapies on the market as well as in research and development.
The report also offers a comprehensive overview of therapeutics currently in clinical development, with a view to assessing their impact on the future performance of leading rheumatoid arthritis drugs. As a class, biological response modifiers will, without a doubt, continue to make a major impact on the rheumatoid arthritis market. However, the leading drugs within this class are facing challenging times ahead, with a number of new products already reaching registration phases, led by Centocor/Schering-Plough’s Simponi and Celltech/UCB’s Cimzia.
The Rheumatoid Arthritis Market: Competitive Landscape and Clinical Stage Analysis provides sales figures for major rheumatoid therapies, dating back to 2003, as well as sales forecasts through 2013. Apart from patent expirations facing current biological response modifiers and new product launches, which will increase price competition, there are a few other factors expected to slow down growth in this market during the next five years. For example, recent developments in the United Kingdom (UK) suggest that cost-containment may limit the use of expensive biologics if the first course of treatment fails. Similarly, a more intense scrutiny of adverse drug reactions may also limit this class’s reach in the market, although such issues will continue to be the driving force behind research into safer and more convenient methods of administration.
What Questions Does this Report Answer?
- What is the current competitive landscape of the rheumatoid arthritis market look like?
- What is the current status of emerging products with significant growth potential?
- What are the major clinical, economic and demographic drivers of the rheumatoid arthritis market?
- What does the future competitive landscape of the rheumatoid arthritis market look like?
- How will the issue of cost-effectiveness impact the future of the rheumatoid arthritis market?
- Will developmental-stage therapies be judged to a greater degree on the basis of cost-effectiveness in the near future?
Unique Features of this Report
- Clinically-based evaluation of leading rheumatoid arthritis therapies on the market and in development
- Identification of trends and issues that will have a significant impact on drug sales within the rheumatoid arthritis market.
- Market share metrics for key therapies as well as the overall rheumatoid arthritis market, by country/region
- Measurement of key clinical trials as a means of determining future success of product candidates in the market.
- SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) analysis of leading rheumatoid arthritis therapies
- Forecasts of financial growth of this sector as a whole, as well as forecasts of revenue for key products in the field (all forecasts through 2013).
Highlights of this Report
- Discussion of rheumatoid arthritis therapies and their use in a number of key global markets.
- Discussion of the future of key rheumatoid arthritis therapies in light of scientific and medical developments.
- Focused analysis of various key R&D-stage therapies for rheumatoid arthritis.
- Identification of key trends within the rheumatoid arthritis market.
Reasons to Buy this Report
- The report provides an analysis-focused guide to the global market for rheumatoid arthritis therapeutics.
- The report provides important background about the disease, its etiology, patient population and financial and economic impact of the condition.
- The report provides a comparison of key rheumatoid arthritis therapies in a number of major markets.
- The report provides a scenario for the future use of leading rheumatoid arthritis therapies through the discussion of drivers and constraints.
- The report identifies key companies involved in the research and development of rheumatoid arthritis therapies.
1 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
1.1 Scope and Methodology
1.2 Rheumatoid Arthritis: Disease Background, Impact and Treatment
1.3 Market Growth
1.4 Research and Development (R&D) Trends
2 RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS: SCIENTIFIC BACKGROUND
2.1 Disease Overview
2.2 Etiology of Rheumatoid Arthritis
2.2.1 Genetic Factors
2.3 The Immune Response
2.3.2 Helper T-Cells and RA
2.5.1 Diagnostic Criteria
2.6 Risk Factors
2.6.1 Genetic Factors
2.6.2 Stress Hormones
2.6.5 Family History
2.6.6 Ethnic Background
2.7 Key Clinical Trial Endpoints
2.7.1 American College of Rheumatology (ACR) Disease Activity Measures
2.7.2 EULAR (European League Against Rheumatism) Response Criteria
2.7.3 Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR)
2.7.4 C-Reactive Proteins (CRP)
3 THE FINANCIAL AND DEMOGRAPHIC IMPACT OF RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS
3.1 The Prevalence and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis
3.2 The Financial Impact of Rheumatoid Arthritis
4 CURRENT TREATMENT OPTIONS FOR RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS
4.3 Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs (DMARDs)
4.4 Biological Response Modifiers (BRMs)
4.4.1 Key Biological Response Modifiers
4.5 Surgical Treatments
4.5.3 Arthroscopic Surgery
4.6 Other Existing Treatments
5 ISSUES AND TRENDS IMPACTING THE GLOBAL MARKET FOR RA THERAPIES
5.1 Biological Response Modifiers as a Continued Market Force
5.2 DMARDs vs BRMs
5.3 The High Cost of RA Biologics
5.4 Medicare Reform in the US: Impact on RA Market
5.5 RA Therapies and Global Reimbursement Issues
6 THE GLOBAL MARKET FOR RA THERAPIES
6.1 Commercial Market Size
6.1.1 US Revenues
6.1.2 Non-US Revenues
6.2 Key Products Driving Growth
6.2.1 Enbrel: Market Position and Revenues
6.2.2 Remicade: Market Position and Revenues
6.2.3 Humira: Market Position and Revenues
6.2.4 Orencia: Market Position and Revenues
6.2.5 Rituxan: Market Position and Revenues
6.2.6 Kineret: Market Position and Revenues
6.3 Market Share
6.3.1 By Product
6.3.2 By Country/Region
7 THE R&D PIPELINE FOR RA THERAPIES
7.1 Unmet Need
7.2 R&D Trends in RA Therapy
7.2.1 Products Nearing Commercialization
7.2.2 Future Directions
7.3 R&D Trends in RA Therapy
7.3.1 Cimzia (CDP-870)
7.4 Selected Phase III Products in Development
7.4.1 Arzerra (HuMax-CD 20)
7.4.3 Ocrelizumab (R1594)
7.5 Selected Phase II Products in Development
7.5.4 P38 MAP Kinase Inhibitor
7.5.5 BMS 561392
7.5.7 VX 702
8 THE FINANCIAL OUTLOOK FOR THE RA THERAPY MARKET
8.1 Financial Forecasts for Key Products
8.2 Overall Financial Forecast for RA Market 2009-2013
Graph 3.1 Prevalence of RA in Various Countries
Graph 6.1 Global Sales of Leading RA Therapies 2003-2008, by product ($ mn)
Graph 6.2 US Sales of Leading RA Therapies 2003-2008, by product ($ mn)
Graph 6.3 Non-US Sales of Leading RA Therapies 2003-2008, by product ($ mn)
Graph 6.4 Enbrel Market Share, by Country/Region 2008
Graph 6.5 Remicade Market Share, by Country/Region 2008
Graph 6.6 Humira Market Share, by Country/Region 2008
Graph 6.7 Orencia Market Share, by Country/Region 2008
Graph 6.8 Global Market Share of Leading RA Therapies by Product, 2008
Graph 6.9 US Market Share of Leading RA Therapies by Product, 2008
Graph 6.10 Non-US Market Share of Leading RA Therapies by Product, 2008
Graph 6.11 RA Therapy Market Share, by Country/Region 2008
Graph 8.1 Sales Forecast for Enbrel 2009-2013
Graph 8.2 Sales Forecast for Remicade 2009-2013
Graph 8.3 Sales Forecast for Humira 2009-2013
Graph 8.4 Sales Forecast for Orencia 2009-2013
Graph 8.5 Sales Forecast for Rituxan 2009-2013
Figure 4.1 Treatment Options for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Table 4.1 Percent of Patients with ACR Responses in Studies 1 and 3
Table 5.1 Approved DMARDs for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Table 5.2 Profiles of the Leading DMARDs and BRMs (2008)
Table 6.1 Global Sales of Key BRMs for Rheumatoid Arthritis, 2003-2008 ($ million)
Table 6.2 US Sales of Leading RA Therapies 2003-2008 ($ mn)
Table 6.3 Non-US Sales of Leading RA Therapies 2003-2008 ($ mn)
Table 6.4 Global Sales of Enbrel, US & Canada, Rest of World 2003-2008 ($ mn)
Table 6.5 Sales of Remicade 2003-2008, US, Japan, Europe + Rest of World ($ mn)
Table 6.6 Global Sales of Humira, US, Rest of World 2003-2008 ($ mn)
Table 6.7 Global Sales of Orencia, US, Rest of World 2006-2008 ($ mn)
Table 7.1 Rheumatoid Arthritis Drugs in Late-Stage Development
Table 7.2 Rheumatoid Arthritis Drugs in Early-Stage Development
Table 8.1 Patent Expirations for Key RA Products
Table 8.2 Financial Growth Forecast of the Biologics in the RA Market 2009-2013 ($ mn)