May 10, 2013
Brain Imaging and Biomarkers in Pain
Brain imaging for pain is still somewhat controversial. The PainResearchForum.org article: A Brain Signature for Physical Pain? (http://www.painresearchforum.org/news/27192-brain-signature-physical-pain) showcases a new functional MRI-based test detailed in the April 11 New England Journal of Medicine that investigators are calling a “neurologic signature of pain” and contrasts that against views over whether imaging can play a significant role in accurately reporting chronic pain.
The issues of chronic pain and fMRI will also be part of the 7th Annual Pain and Migraine Therapeutics Summit in Boston, MA on September 25 & 25, 2013 (http://www.paintherapeuticsummiteast.com) and in San Diego, CA on November 7 & 8, 2013 (http://www.paintherapeuticsummit.com). This bi-coastal conference will bring together industry, academic and government leaders in the fields of pain research and drug development to discuss novel research, drug discovery, clinical development and commercialization. Leaders in these fields are also encouraged to participate on the speaking faculty (www.paintherapeuticsummit.com/speaking-opportunities).
Speakers (to date) include:
• Stephen Arneric, Ph.D., Senior Research Fellow, Eli Lilly & Co.
• Tom McCarthy, Ph.D., CEO & Managing Director, Spinifex Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd.
• Nadia Rupniak, Ph.D., VP, Research & Development, CoLucid Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
• Travis Mickle, Ph.D., President, CEO, KemPharm, Inc.
• Michael Iadarola, Ph.D., Senior Research Scientist, Anesthesiology Research Laboratories, Department of Perioperative Medicine, Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health
• Ernest Kopecky, Ph.D., MBA, VP, Clinical Development, Head, Neuroscience TA, Collegium Pharmaceutical, Inc.
• Susan Horn, Ph.D., Senior Scientist, Institute for Clinical Outcomes Research, Vice President, Research, International Severity Information Systems, Inc.
• Nathaniel Katz, MD, President, Analgesic Solutions
• Bruce Hammock, Ph.D., Distinguished Professor, Department of Entomology & UCD Comprehensive Cancer Center, PI, NIH Biotechnology Training Program, UC Davis
• C. Lowell Parsons, MD, Professor of Surgery/Urology, School of Medicine, UC San Diego
• Michael Lark, Ph.D., Chief Scientific Officer & Sr. VP, Research, Trevena, Inc.